Friday, February 25, 2011

Freebie Flashback Friday - Dune II

I'm happy to announce a new weekly feature I'll be offering here at the Demo Gamer: Freebie Flashback Friday! I grew up playing many games on x86 systems, starting at age five. These games are well past their expiration dates when it comes to graphics and what not, but sometimes, I fire them up because they are still fun! Another nice thing about these vintage games is many of them are available for free on the internet.

This week's game is a one that is near and dear to my heart, a game that defined the genre known as Real-Time Strategy (RTS). I have spent many hours playing "Dune II" and other RTS games. Probably too many. But I always remember playing "Dune II" and how I never could beat the game unless I played as the "evil Harkonnen". The nuclear missile fired by their Palace building is particularly effective, you see.


Courtesy Abandonia.com
"Dune II" is definitely dated and a little difficult to play compared to other RTS classics like "Warcraft" or "Total Annihilation", but it is still fun and still a challenge. The last time I played it, I had to run it in DosBox, but it appears that there is now a WinXP version. I will be downloading it tonight, and you can too, just click here!

Did you ever play "Dune II"? Have any other vintage games you'd like to share? Sound off in the comments!

--Demo Gamer

No comments:

Post a Comment